Turning 60

For Jan at 60

Round and full
complete in itself
Eternal.
At the top of a column
you climb and climb---a decade’s worth of years
then pause
at rest in the equilibrium of a perfect number:
a year of evenness and self-sufficiency.
Moving down the column (although up in numbers)
even at midway---it’s nothing, really,
not very far from the top.
But then close, close come those latter years that crush together
and I forget which one; I am just older until
another symmetry is attained, again a cause for celebration.
Now on the right hand of the ranks,
Columns approaching the edge of the ledger
March toward a double perfection, entirely theoretical.  

November 14, 2009
at Steady Eddy’s
Flint, Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment

The raptor herald

Smack!   The front legs of my chair leave the floor, my hands pop off the laptop keyboard; I jerk backward. A split second, then a tinkli...